Do you believe bigger is better? If we’re talking about tile trends right now, the answer is yes!
Beaumont Tiles have brought out these enormous slab sized tiles that are making a huge impact in some of the most divine homes across the country.
Now, I tend to get a little excited when something new hits the renovating scene and that is absolutely the case for these tiles so I want to show you how you can use them in your own space!
Why Choose Slab Tiles?
With breathtaking beauty and practicality, slab tiles have opened up doors to new design innovations to suit any home. These sizeable and aesthetically beautiful tiles offer maximum visual impact and a slender profile, and can be used to create beautiful ceramic skins for exteriors and interiors.
Plus, there’s a whole list of benefits when using them in place of traditional smaller tiles including:
- Fewer grout lines to look after
- Easier to clean and maintain (50% less cleaning time)
- Large size tiles visually expand the room
Due to their thin profile, you can often simply lay them straight over your existing floor tiles – saving heaps of money, time and mess!
- Greater durability and longevity
- You can use them on multiple surfaces including exteriors, interiors, floors, walls and fixtures!
Depending on your preferred style and level of luxe, you can choose from these 4 collections:
Direct from Italy, the Timeless range is totally classic and will have continual appeal for decades to come.
With strength and beauty, antique marble blends the purity of natural stone and marble with all the practicality of porcelain.
This exuberant stone makes big impact in size and design. Light skims over the polished surfaces making the most hidden details impressive.
Direct from Spain, this stunning white marble medley is a show-stopper. The Grand offers silk, polished finishes to give both depth and elegance to any space.
How to Lay Slab Tiles
Usually, I am a big advocate for DIY anything! And while slab tiles are not any more difficult to install than regular tiles, they do require very specific handling techniques and recommended adhesives due to their size.
That’s why using a tiler who specialises in slab tiles can be the surest way to guarantee a job well done. Beaumont’s tiles stores have lists of tilers they can recommend to you if you’re looking to have slab tiles professionally installed.
If you think you can get the job done without a tiler, that’s totally okay too! You’ll just need to be super careful when handling the large slabs during delivery and laying.
Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Slab tiles are ordered by the panel, not m2 so take extra care calculating. Measure plan by slab layout, draw out the room, count number of pieces, allow 5-10% more slab for wastage.
- Because of their large size, slab tiles can only be delivered to site on pallets and unloaded by forklift. When having slab tiles delivered, ensure that your on-site logistics and space can accommodate deliveries.
- Take care with the edges of when moving slab tiles. Keep vibrations to a minimum and rest on a soft substrate to protect against chipping.
- Adhesives are an important part of the job. Beaumont Tiles recommend the Ardex and CTA adhesives specially developed for laying slab tiles.
- When applying adhesives, use a minimum 4mm notched trowel of adhesive “buttering” on the back of the slab tile and 8mm notched trowel on the substrate for wall and floor tiling. Notch adhesive to the substrate as well as “back-buttering” the slab tiles to achieve 100% coverage of adhesive.
- Ensure that the direction the adhesive is spread on the wall or floor is the same direction as on the back of the slab tiles.
- Tap on each slab right after they have been glued and laid with a rubber float trowel. Ensure every area of the tile is tapped out.
For more detail, download this Slab Tiles Installation and Handling Guide
Slab tiles are a game-changer in the right space and will take your renovation to that next level. You can check out the full range of slab tiles from Beaumont Tiles here.