Looking for an easier way to plan your renovation? → Join Free Beautiful Renovations Masterclass
When selecting what type of shutters you are wanting to be installed on your window it is important to measure the window size to ensure you have the best fitting shutters possible.
When you are renovating a property, having amazing looking shutters is a great value add.
Typically, when you are renovating, the windows stay where they are, so it is likely that you don’t know the size of the windows already.
What will you need?
- Tape Measure
The first thing you need to consider when measuring for shutters is what style of shutter you will need: Recess or Face.
Different shutters need to be mounted in different places, so it is important to know what style of shutter you want prior to measuring.
USP for PolyLux Shutters from DIYBlinds can be made in just 2 weeks in Australia with 20 years of manufacturing warranty and a lifetime guarantee to never bleach, blister or peel.
Measuring a Recess Fit:
- There must be a 65mm gap for shutters to fit in right.
- Check to make sure there are no angles or winders on the windows. If there are, contact the team at DIYBlinds for assistance.
- Measure inside each window at the top, middle and bottom from left to right. Take the smallest measurement and submit that one.
- Measure inside each window drop down on the left, middle and right. Take the smallest measurement and submit the one.
- Always make sure that your measurements are within 10mm. If they aren’t please contact the team at DIYBlinds for assistance.
Measuring a Face Fit:
- Measure outside each window from the top, middle and bottom from right to left. Take the smallest measurement and submit that one.
- Measure outside each window drop down on the left, middle and right. Take the smallest measurement and submit that one.
- If there is a midrail, measure how far down it is.
- If the window is more than 1.5m high, it will need a midrail. Try to keep it below eye level to allow for an amazing view.
- When measuring for a midrail, measure as if you are measuring for a Recess fit.
- If the window is more than 1.5m long, you will need multiple panels. If you need multiple panels please contact DIYBlinds for assistance.
DIYBlinds can be shipped Australia wide. Customers are encouraged to utilise DIYBlinds’ Check Measure Services and the DIY Installation Manual.
When installing plantation shutters yourself for your renovation, it is important to ensure you have measured the window accurately so the shutters fit perfectly!
Derek Dewitt says
My wife and I are thinking about getting new shutters for the kitchen windows but we aren’t sure what size we need. I had no idea that there needs to be a 65mm gap for shutters to fit right. I will have to try measuring all sides of the window and submitting the smallest one like you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!